How to prepare squid
You can ask your fishmonger to prepare your fresh squid, or, why not give it a go yourself? Learn how to prepare squid with our step-by-step guide, then you can bask in the glory of making your own calamari from scratch.
1. Rinse under cold running water to clean, then pull the tentacles from the body to remove the innards. Don’t pierce the small, silvery grey ink sac (in the centre of our picture). Remove the clear, plasticky quill.
3. Carefully scrape and peel away the thin purple membrane from the body and discard.
4. Slice the tentacles off the innards (discard the rest of the innards).
5. Squeeze the base of the tentacles to remove a bony piece known as the beak.
6. Wash the body and tentacles well under cold running water, then slice the body into rings.
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter