Steak sandwich with garlic mayo
- May 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Ready-prepared beetroot, mayonnaise and caramelised onions make this steak sandwich recipes quick and easy to prepare.
- 4 British rump steaks
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 100g Waitrose mayonnaise with extra-virgin olive oil, or similar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 250g Waitrose baby beetroot in mild malt vinegar, or similar
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 4 tbsp The Bay Tree Caramelised Onions, or similar
- 2 handfuls rocket
- If possible, take the steaks out of the fridge about an hour before you want to cook them. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat while you prepare the garnishes.
- Put the mayonnaise in a bowl and finely grate in the garlic clove and the zest of 1 lemon. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, some salt and pepper to taste, then stir to combine. Grate the beetroot on a box grater and set aside.
- When the griddle pan is smoking hot, cook the steaks, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes on each side or until done to your liking. Rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the griddle pan back on the heat. Halve the ciabatta rolls, and drizzle with a little olive oil. Toast cut-side down on the hot griddle pan for 1-2 minutes, in 2 batches, until just crisp and lightly charred.
- Spread 1 tbsp caramelised onions over the bottom half of each toasted roll. Top with a steak, then add a quarter of the grated beetroot, some rocket and a dollop of the garlic mayonnaise. Replace the roll tops and serve straightaway.
Rate & review