Beef balti with squash
- October 2005
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp balti spice mix
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Few curry leaves (optional)
- 450g Caledonian Crown sirloin steak, cut into 1½ cm cubes
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 250ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 300g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 pack Kitchen Guru Saffron Pilau Rice, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a deep-sided frying pan or balti pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is tinged brown at the edges. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the balti spice mix, garam masala, curry leaves (if using) and the steak, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the steak is brown. Remove the steak from the pan and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato purée and squash. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the squash is tender. Return the steak to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Serve with saffron pilau rice, garnished with coriander leaves.
Rate & review