Steak sandwich with harissa, caramelised onions and feta
- April 2012
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 minutes
This fabulous steak sandwich recipe uses clever time-saving ingredients to make midweek cooking a breeze.
- 300g sirloin steak
- 2 tbsp harissa (we like Belazu rose harissa)
- Small bunch of fresh mint, leaves finely shredded
- 2 individual ciabatta buns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Caramelised onion chutney (we like Tracklements Onion Marmalade, from Waitrose, Budgens and delis)
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Handful of rocket leaves
- Put the steak between 2 sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser until 1cm thick. Remove the cling film, put the meat in a bowl and rub with the harissa, half the mint and a pinch of sea salt. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Halve the ciabatta buns, drizzle with the oil and griddle on both sides until golden and charred. Set aside. Leave the pan over a medium-high heat and sear the steak for 60 seconds on each side. Remove and rest the meat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile spread a dollop of onion marmalade into each bun, slice the steak across the grain, divide between the buns, then top with the remaining mint, the crumbled feta and rocket.
Rate & review