Chinchinga beef skewers
- September 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus marinating
”The lyrically named chinchinga is a popular street food, essentially Ghana’s answer to shish kebab: meat that’s been rubbed in a spice mix, then skewered and grilled. The spice mix is called suya, a blend of ground spices and hot pepper. I love this dish because it’s so versatile and can be applied to any meat. You can add peppers and onions to the skewer if you wish but sometimes simplicity wins out.” – Zoe Adjonyoh
Make Zoe’s peanut sauce to go with this, too.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 25.2g (6g saturated)
- 4.9g (1.8g sugars)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 30ml groundnut oil, plus extra to brush
- 50g fresh ginger, grated
- 500g British rump steak, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- 2-3 red chillies, finely sliced
- 100g roasted peanuts, crushed (optional)
For the suya spice mix
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp each ground ginger, ground nutmeg and garlic powder
- ½ tsp each ground cloves, ground ginger and ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp crushed sea salt
You’ll also need…
- 8-12 metal skewers, or wooden skewers soaked in water for
- Combine the spice mix ingredients in a bowl (see Make Ahead).
- In a non-metallic bowl, combine the suya spice mix with the sea salt, oil and fresh ginger. Add the beef strips, tossing well to evenly coat. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes (see Make Ahead).
- Meanwhile, light the barbecue and wait for the coals to glow white (or heat the grill to high). Thread 3-4 pieces of meat per skewer. Brush the meat with a little groundnut oil, then cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until lightlymcharred.
- Serve the skewers scattered with cayenne pepper, coriander leaves, sliced chillies and peanuts, if using, and serve with Zoe’s peanut sauce on the side.
Marinate the beef up to a day in advance, cover and keep in the fridge. Store
the suya spice mix in an airtight container in a cool, dark place
and use within 1-2 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mexican chicken skewers with guacamole
Mexican chicken skewers with guacamole are a great spicy dish to have at your summer...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...