Stir-fried tofu with vegetables
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 20 minutes
The Japanese have one of the healthiest diets in the world and this vegetarian tofu stir-fry recipe is a perfect example of how you can enjoy the antioxidants of the wonderful soya bean.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 13.1g (1.8g saturated)
- 10.9g (7.4g sugars)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 250g firm tofu, drained and cut into domino-sized pieces
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- 150g (2 medium) carrots, cut into long thin matchsticks
- 100g mangetout, halved on the diagonal
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- Bunch of spring onions, sliced
- 100g baby spinach
- 100g enoki mushrooms, separated
- 2 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine (from Waitrose and Oriental supermarkets) or dry sherry
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 tsp Japanese soy sauce or dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- Heat a wok or large, deep frying pan over a high heat. Add 1 tbsp of sunflower oil and the tofu and stir-fry for 1 minute. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok or frying pan with the ginger, garlic, carrot and mangetout, and stir-fry for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, spring onion and spinach, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Return the tofu to the pan with the enoki mushrooms, rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and oyster sauce, and toss for 1 minute. Serve with brown rice.
Stir-fries use just a small amount of hot oil for quick cooking and retention of vitamins.
Rate & review