Strawberry and coconut pastries
- June 2011
- Makes 18
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 20-25 minutes to cook, plus proving and cooling.
Enjoy these light and crumbly strawberry and coconut Danish pastries with a cup of coffee for breakfast or for afternoon tea.
- 10.4g (7.2g saturated)
- 29.6g (8g sugar)
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75g unsalted butter, diced
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 350ml milk, warmed slightly, plus a little cold milk for brushing
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the filling
- 50g butter, melted
- 350g strawberries, very thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- Put the flour in a large bowl and, with your fingertips, rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast, sugar, coconut and a pinch of salt, then make a well in the centre and add the warmed milk. Bring it together to make a soft dough, then knead well on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth. Return to the cleaned bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/ gas 7. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 45cm x 25cm rectangle. Brush with melted butter, then arrange the strawberry slices on top, leaving a 1cm border all around the edge. Sprinkle with light muscovado sugar, then roll up the long side to make a sausage shape.
- Cut into 18 slices, then place the slices on 2 lined baking sheets and brush with milk. Leave to rise for 15 minutes, then bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked and golden. Cool on a wire rack. Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and drizzle over the swirls. Leave to set for a few minutes, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter