Summer vegetable carbonara
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20-25 min
There’s no weeknight dinner more comforting than creamy, cheesy carbonara. We’ve added fresh mint, peas and broccoli to give this Italian classic a summery twist.
- 33.1g (10g saturated)
- 81g (5.5g sugars)
- 400g spaghetti
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 100g pancetta lardons
- 150g chopped tenderstem broccoli
- 200g frozen peas
- 4 whole free-range eggs with 2 egg yolks
- Large handful of chopped fresh mint
- Freshly grated parmesan and a squeeze of lemon juice, to serve
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat a glug of olive oil and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes until softening. Add the pancetta lardons and broccoli; fry for 5 minutes or until the pancetta is crisp.
- Add the peas to the pancetta pan and cook for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat. Add the still-hot pasta with another glug of extra-virgin olive oil and toss. Leave for 1 minute.
- Beat 4 whole eggs with 2 egg yolks, then stir into the pasta with the chopped fresh mint. Taste, season, then serve straightaway with freshly grated parmesan and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bacon, beans and lemon carbonara
You only need 20 minutes to make our take on classic carbonara. Made with bacon,...