- September 2011
- Makes 1.1 litres
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This sweet and spicy sweetcorn relish makes an excellent accompaniment for other dishes.
- 0.2g (no saturated)
- 3.3g (1.8g)
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium-hot red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g caster sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 125ml white wine vinegar, plus 3 tbsp
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- 650g fresh sweetcorn kernels (from about 4 large corn cobs, 5-6 medium)
- Halve the pepper and discard the stalk and seeds, then dice. Put into a large pan with the celery, onion, chilli, sugar, salt, 125ml vinegar, celery seeds and 125ml water. Simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, mustard powder, turmeric and remaining vinegar to a paste in a small bowl. Stir into the vegetable mixture with the corn and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Pour into 2 warm sterilised jars, seal and cool. Store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter