Teriyaki mackerel skewers
- August 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 4-5 minutes to cook, plus marinating
Fire up the coals and impress guests with these easy-to-make mackerel skewers – perfect to serve as a barbecue starter.
- 33.9g (13.9g saturated)
- 10g (9.7g sugars)
- 2 smallish mackerel, filleted to give 4 fillets, pin bones removed
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp ground star anise, Chinese five-spice or mixed spice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1-2 tsp wasabi paste (to taste)
- 150g crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- Lemon wedges to serve
- You will also need 8 skewers. If you use wooden ones, soak them for 2 hours in warm water first.
- Cut the mackerel fillets in half lengthways and lay in a single layer in a glass or ceramic dish. Put the soy, sugar, ginger, spice and half the lemon juice in a small pan and slowly bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 minute. Cool completely, then pour over the fish and marinate for 1 hour, covered, in the fridge, turning the fillets over after 30 minutes.
- Remove the fillets, reserving the marinade, and pat dry with kitchen paper. Lay on a chopping board and roll up each fillet, skin outwards. Sit 2 rolled fillets next to each other, then thread 2 skewers through each pair (it’s easier to turn food on the barbecue if you use 2 skewers). Brush with oil and put to one side.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice with the wasabi paste, then stir into the crème fraîche with a little salt. Cook the fish skewers over a hot part of the barbecue, turning once and brushing some of the marinade over them as they cook – they’ll take no more than 2 minutes.
- Serve with the wasabi crème fraîche, either as a dip or drizzled over the fish, with chives sprinkled on top and lemon wedges on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Vegan Turkish kebabs with chilli sweet potato mash and roasted veg
This meaty favourite has been given a vegan makeover with the use of vegan mince...
Halloumi and roasted veg kebabs with basil spaghetti
This halloumi and roasted veg kebab recipe makes the perfect vegetarian barbecue offering.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...