Spiced potted crab
- March 2010
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 10 minutes, 5 minutes cooking time plus chilling
Get creative with Indian spices in this really quick crab recipe. Serve with toasted soda bread.
- 23.6g (13.9g saturated)
- 0.2g (trace sugar)
- 150g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp mild curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon, plus 1 tsp juice
- 300g fresh white crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Melt 100g of the butter in a large pan over a low heat. Add the curry powder, cayenne pepper and lemon zest, remove from the heat and set aside for a couple of minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Return the pan to a low heat, add the crab and stir for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to break up the lumps of crab, until warmed through. Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice and season generously with salt and white pepper. Add more salt than you normally would because you are serving the crab cold.
- Spoon the mixture into 4-6 x 100ml pots or ramekins and lightly level the tops, but don’t pack down hard. Melt the remaining butter in a pan over a low heat and spoon it over the top of each portion. Set aside in the fridge for at least 2 hours, to set.
- If the pots have been in the fridge for a long time, leave them at room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften slightly before serving. Serve with toasted soda bread.
Serve with toasted Soda bread.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter