The ultimate sarnie
- July 2007
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 minutes
This has to be one of the best sarnies ever – a glorious mix of pesto, cheese, tomatoes and ham.
- 4 slices white bread, freshly cut from a round country loaf
- 4 tbsp good-quality fresh pesto
- 150g Taleggio cheese, cut into slices
- 50g SunBlush tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- Good handful wild rocket
- 4 slices Parma ham or pancetta
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Spread 2 slices of the bread on 1 side with the pesto. Top with the Taleggio cheese and scatter with the SunBlush tomatoes, followed by the wild rocket. Sandwich together with the remaining bread slices and squash down slightly. Wrap 2 slices of Parma ham or pancetta around each sandwich.
- Soak each sandwich in the beaten egg for 3 minutes each side.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat, add the sandwiches to the hot pan and fry for 6 minutes, turning halfway, until the Taleggio is melting and the Parma ham or pancetta is golden. Transfer to kitchen paper to drain.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve with plenty of napkins.
Rate & review