Toad in the hole with red onions
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 20-25 minutes in the oven
A British favourite, toad-in-the-hole with red onions, with its succulent sausages and comforting batter is always a winner. And it’s cheap to make too.
- 51.4g (16.2g saturated)
- 72.1g (9.6g sugars)
- 250g plain flour, plus extra 1 tbsp
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300ml milk
- 4 tbsp sunflower or light olive oil
- 8 (about 500g) sausages
- 3 red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 100ml red wine
- 450ml chicken stock, hot
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the eggs and milk, and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the sausages. Brown for 5 minutes, turning regularly, then set aside. Add the onions to the pan and cook for a further 8 minutes, adding the thyme halfway through. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into a medium ovenproof dish and heat in the oven for 5 minutes. Arrange the sausages and onions in the dish, then pour over the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed up and golden.
- Meanwhile, put the frying pan back over a medium-high heat, sprinkle in the extra flour and stir for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in the red wine, then the chicken stock. Bubble for about 5 minutes to reduce the gravy by half. Keep warm over a very low heat.
- Serve the toad-in-the-hole with the hot gravy, a dollop of wholegrain mustard and some steamed greens, if you like.
Vegetarians, use vegetarian stock and veggie sausages – Quorn and Cauldron have a wide range to choose from in major supermarkets.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best of British recipes
Georgina Fuggle’s horseradish and tomato toad in the hole
Georgina Fuggle’s wonderful twist on the classic toad in the hole sees sausages wrapped in...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...