Tomato and bacon pasta
- July 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
This quick tomato and bacon pasta dish can be made using store cupboard ingredients.
- 597 kcals
- 24.9g fat (6g saturated)
- 21.3g protein
- 76.5g carbs (10.1g sugars)
- 2.3g salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 80g black olives, pitted
- 350g fresh pappardelle pasta
- Handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Grated Parmesan to serve
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat and fry the bacon lardons until crisp, then remove to a plate lined with kitchen paper using a slotted spoon. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sweat until soft. Stir through the tomatoes, squashing them with the back of a wooden spoon to release the juice. Add the balsamic vinegar, olives and cooked bacon to the pan. Bubble for a few minutes until reduced and thickened, then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of salted boiling water according to the pack instructions. Drain and add to the sauce with a handful of parsley. Stir to coat and divide among bowls. Drizzle with a splash of extra-virgin olive oil and serve with grated Parmesan and crusty bread, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato, aubergine, courgette and mozzarella tagliatelle
Eat in Italian style with this easy vegetarian pasta recipe with seasonal vegetables. This can...