Yellow pepper and black bean stir fry
- July 2006
- 2 tbsp salted black beans (from Asian grocers) or black bean sauce
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large (or 3 medium) yellow peppers, deseeded and roughly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- If using the black beans, soak them in 250ml hot water for about 10 minutes, then drain and rinse thoroughly. Transfer to a pestle and mortar or a sturdy bowl and crush them roughly. Mix them (or the black bean sauce, if using) with the vinegar, honey and soy sauce, and set aside.
- Put the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. When hot, add the peppers and stir-fry for a few minutes, until they just start to colour. Add the garlic, ginger and onions and stir-fry for a few more minutes, until the onions have softened a little.
- Add the soy sauce and bean mixture to the wok and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Check the seasoning, remove from the heat and serve, garnished with the coriander leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...