What to do with leftover saffron
Brighten up your food with glorious red threads of saffron. This floral and sweet spice is perfect in many dishes so trying to use up leftovers is easy.
Recipes using saffron
- Spiced saffron and mussel soup
- Stuffed saffron risotto fritters (Arancini di riso)
- North African chicken with honey and saffron
- Pancetta wrapped salmon with saffron and herb rice
- Rhubarb and saffron cream tart
How to use up leftover saffron
- Exotic pudding
Mix a pinch of saffron with a tablespoon of water, then stir through a vanilla pannacotta mixture before setting.
- Fragrant risotto
Stir a medium pinch of saffron into a simple risotto as you add the stock. It will give the finished dish a distinctive aroma, golden colour and another dimension of flavour.
- Golden sponge cake
Soak a pinch of saffron in a tablespoon of water, then add the strands to the flour. Stir the soaking water into the cake batter before baking.