What to do with leftover sumac
Brighten up your recipes by adding this Mediterranean spice which is full of fruity flavour. Try these recipes for an exotic difference in your dishes.
Recipes using sumac
- Roasted pepper, aubergine and sweet potato with garlic and sumac yogurt
- Spiced lamb with samphire and sumac salad
- Turkish menemen with sumac yogurt
- Lentils and pasta with tamarind, sumac and pomegranate
How to use up leftover sumac
- Spiced yogurt dip. Stir a sprinkle of sumac into thick Greek yogurt and season. Add lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil and chopped fresh herbs such as coriander or parsley. Serve with roasted veg and chicken.
- Quick marinade. Mix olive oil with lemon zest, crushed garlic, sumac and salt, then rub over chicken or lamb and marinate for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- Dry spice rub. Mix equal parts sumac and smoked paprika, a little mustard powder and sea salt, then rub generously over beef before roasting.