- 100g crusty country bread, roughly torn
- 400g ripe vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- ½cucumber, roughly chopped
- 50g pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- Bunch of fresh basil, leaves torn
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra, if you like
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 185g cans tuna steak in spring water, drained
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, olives, capers and basil. Add the bread, season and toss well.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar and garlic. Season and pour over the salad. Mix well, cover and stand for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour to allow the flavours to develop.
- Just before serving, gently fold in the tuna. Divide between 4 salad bowls and serve with an extra drizzle of olive oil, if you like.
- Meaty tuna calls for a fruity white – time to crack open an unoaked, crisp Chardonnay, perhaps in the form of a good Chablis.