- July 2018
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 5 min, plus 48 hours curing time
Home-curing is such a rewarding way of preparing meat or fish. Have a go at this cumin-cured salmon recipe – perfect for laid-back entertaining.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 16.5g (3.4g saturated)
- 1.6g (0.9g sugars)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp flaked sea salt
- 2 tbsp vodka (or you can use gin)
- Large handful chopped fresh dill
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 400g top-quality skin-on salmon fillet about 2-3cm thick
- Fresh basil leaves to serve
For the salad
- 90g pack samphire (from large supermarkets or fishmongers in season)
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 200g radishes, sliced
- 90g bag watercress
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Two days before you want to serve, put the peppercorns and cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar and grind to a coarse powder. Stir in the sugar, salt, vodka, dill, lemon zest and juice to make the cure.
- Put a double thickness of cling film on the work surface. Put the salmon in the centre and cover with the cure, then wrap the fish tightly in the cling film. Put on a baking tray, then put another baking tray on top. Weigh it down with a couple of tins and put in the fridge. Leave to cure for 48 hours, turning it over halfway through. After 48 hours, wipe off the cure and pat the fish dry with kitchen paper.
- For the salad, put the samphire in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 2 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Put in a bowl with the avocados, radishes and watercress.
- To serve, finely slice the salmon, lay on a serving platter, top with fresh basil leaves and serve with the salad, squeeze over a little lemon juice and drizzle with olive oil.
You’ll need to start this dish at least 2 days before you want to serve it. The salmon can marinate in the fridge for up to 3 days before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Salmon fillet recipes
Beetroot-marinated salmon with dill pickled rice salad
Enjoy succulent, vibrant beetroot-marinated salmon alongside a hearty, flavoursome salad of rice, dill, dill pickles...