How to make a bakewell tart plus our best-ever bakewell tart recipes
Crispy pastry, a generous layer of jam and a thick, buttery frangipane topping…You can’t beat a slice of classic bakewell tart. Discover how to make a Bakewell tart from scratch plus watch our handy video.
Once you’re ready for the challenge, click for our ultimate bakewell tart recipe.
How to make bakewell tart:
- Sift the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until it forms fine crumbs. Add the beaten eggs and milk and lightly bring together to form a firm dough, taking care not to handle it any more than necessary. Shape into a disc (which will be easier to roll out later), then chill, wrapped in cling film, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 along with a baking sheet. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin. Use to line a 23cm fluted, loose-bottomed tart tin. Try not to stretch the pastry when tucking it into the edges. Trim the excess and prick all over with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Place on the pre-heated baking sheet and blind-bake for 15 minutes, then remove the beans/rice and paper. Cook for a further 5 minutes until pale golden and dry on top.
- Make the filling. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, then fold in the ground almonds and lemon zest.
- Spread the jam evenly across the base of the pastry case, then spoon over the sponge mixture, levelling the surface with the back of the spoon. Scatter over the almonds and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden, well risen and just set in the centre. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then lift onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Try Nathan Outlaw’s bakewell tart made with apricot preserve and amaretto liqueur for a dessert with a difference.
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter