How to make royal icing
Why buy royal icing when it’s this simple to make? Follow our easy step-by-step guide to find out how to make pillowy white icing for your Christmas cake this year.
You will need:
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- 900g icing sugar
- ½ tsp glycerine
- 1 drop of blue food colouring (optional)
1. Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl. Sift out the icing sugar.
2. Carefully stir in the egg whites, a little at a time, until the mixture reaches a thick dropping consistency. Start whisking the mixture until it starts to form soft peaks (this will take 10-15 minutes if using a balloon whisk), then stir in the glycerine (from the baking aisle in large supermarkets).
3. If you like, stir in 1 drop of blue food colouring to make your icing extra white.
4. Use a palette knife to spread the icing over your marzipan-covered cake, then leave to set.