How to prepare a ripe mango
These tropical beauties can be fiddly to get the flesh from if you don’t know how, so follow our easy method for perfect results.
- Stand the mango upright and, using a sharp knife, slice off the two flatter ‘cheeks’, avoiding the oval stone in the centre.
- Slice the remaining two narrow sides from the mango and discard the stone.
- Holding a ‘cheek’ in the palm of your hand, make a series of parallel cuts into the flesh, cutting until you can just feel the pressure of the knife on your hand – don’t break the skin (if you’re not too confident, hold the mango, flesh-side up, on a chopping board).
- Using a spoon, scoop the flesh away from the skin in perfect slices.
- For mango cubes, make another series of cuts at 90 degrees.
- Then push the mango inside out and slice the cubes off with the knife.
For more step-by-step expert techniques, click here.