Apple crumble ice cream
- October 2006
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 25 mins, plus overnight chilling and freezing
Apple crumble is a delicious, traditional dessert often served with custard or ice cream. This recipe combines the two to give the best of both worlds.
Or serve scoops of vanilla ice cream with our irresistible toffee apple pan crumble.
- 31.8g (18.7g saturated)
- 44.1g (36.9g sugars)
- 300ml full-cream milk
- 284ml carton double cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 120g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Bramley apples (about 500g in total)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 50g golden granulated sugar, to taste
For the crumble
- 75g plain flour
- 50g butter, chilled and cubed
- 50g golden caster sugar
- Pour the milk and cream into a small pan and bring just to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a bowl, until pale and creamy.
- Gradually stir the hot milk and cream mixture into the yolk mixture. Return to the pan over a gentle heat and cook, stirring, until it’s thick enough to lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the vanilla extract, then set aside to cool. Chill overnight – this will speed up the freezing process.
- The next day, core and peel the apples and cut into 1cm cubes. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan, add the granulated sugar and cook over a medium heat until it resembles a toffee-coloured sauce. Add the chopped apples and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the fruit is tender but not falling apart. Check the sweetness: it needs to be a little tart but add more sugar if needed. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Make the crumble. Sift the plain flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl, add the chilled butter and rub in until it resembles crumbs. Add the sugar and work the mixture between your fingers until it starts to clump together. Spread over a large baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the crumble is biscuit-coloured. Set aside to cool.
- To make the ice cream, churn the custard in an ice cream maker until nearly firm. Add the cooked apple mixture and baked crumble pieces, churn to lightly mix through, then serve straightaway.
Rate & review