Artichoke hearts with roasted tomatoes and mozzarella
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
This easy artichoke recipe pairs their earthiness with sweet tomatoes and creamy mozzarella. Perfect summer food.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 32.8g (10.3g saturated)
- 9g (5.8g sugar)
- 4 large globe artichokes
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 2
- 500g small vine tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated but not peeled
- Few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch caster sugar
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained and roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 200g buffalo (or vegetarian) mozzarella, torn
- Crusty bread to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Wash the globe artichokes under cold running water, slice off the stem at the base, then pull away and discard any tough, lower outer leaves. Artichoke leaves have little spines on them, so trim the tips with a pair of scissors.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the artichokes with the juice of 1 lemon. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes (smaller ones will be ready more quickly). They’re done when it’s easy to pull away the outside leaves. Drain upside down in a colander for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in a roasting tin and scatter over the garlic cloves and thyme. Season well, drizzle with the olive oil and roast for 25-30 minutes until soft and juicy. Set aside and keep warm.
- Make the dressing by whisking the remaining lemon juice and zest with the sugar and capers. Season and gradually whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- When ready to eat the artichokes, start with the leaves. Pull them from the globe, one at a time, and dip the soft end in the dressing. Nibble this off with your teeth, then discard the rest of the leaf. Once you’ve nibbled all the leaves (the ones close to the centre have no tender end, so discard them) you’ll be left with the heart, which is topped with a layer of fuzz, aptly called the choke. Gently scrape it out using a teaspoon and discard.
- Scatter the mozzarella over the roasted tomatoes and bring them to the table, then eat with the artichoke hearts, mopping up the juices with plenty of crusty bread.
Rate & review