- May 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 50 minutes to make and about 20 minutes in the oven
Asparagus crespelle is a fancy creamy Italian recipe but it’s basically posh pancakes with asparagus and lots of cheese.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.9g (12g saturated)
- 24.6g (8.3g sugars)
- 90g plain flour, sieved
- 250ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 650g asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 15g freshly grated vegetarian Parmesan, plus extra
- 500ml home-made white sauce, hot
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 125g Fontina cheese, plus extra
- Put the flour, milk and eggs in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Season. Heat an oiled 23cm frying pan over a medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of batter, swirling to cover the pan base. Cook for 1-2 minutes, flip over and cook for a further minute. Slide onto a plate and repeat to make 12 crespelles. Layer the crespelles between sheets of baking paper to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 240°C/fan220°C/gas 9. Put the asparagus in a roasting tin, toss with the oil and roast for 7 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Stir the Parmesan into the white sauce and season with some nutmeg. Spread a little onto a crespelle, top with some asparagus and Fontina. Roll up and put into a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle with the remaining sauce, sprinkle with the extra cheeses and some nutmeg. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...