Aubergine steaks with freekeh salad and buttermilk dressing
- June 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
A stunning vegetarian dish of griddled aubergines, nutty freekeh and a creamy buttermilk and dill dressing to top it all off.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.5g (2g saturated)
- 42.9g (8.9g sugars)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g semi-dried tomatoes in oil(reserve 3 tbsp of the oil for cooking)
- 2 medium aubergines, cut into 1cm slices lengthways through the stalk
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 x 250g pouches cooked freekeh (we used Merchant Gourmet, from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, toasted briefly in a dry pan, then lightly crushed
- 5 tbsp buttermilk
- Small bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 5 fresh mint sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over a high heat. In a small bowl, mix the crushed garlic, 1 tbsp oil from the tomatoes and a little salt to make an oily paste. Brush the aubergine slices all over with the paste, then griddle for 8-10 minutes until softened and charred, turning halfway through. You’ll need to do this in batches.
- Meanwhile, heat another 1 tbsp oil from the tomatoes in a separate frying pan, add the sliced fennel and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until tender. Put in a bowl and add the freekeh, semi-dried tomatoes and crushed fennel seeds.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, the remaining tomato oil, half the chopped herbs, the lemon juice and seasoning in a small bowl. Add the remaining herbs to the freekeh and season.
- Spoon the freekeh salad onto a serving platter or divide among 4 serving plates, top with the aubergine slices and drizzle over the buttermilk dressing. Eat straightaway.
The same weight of any cooked grain or rice would work just as well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted aubergines with crispy capers
Roasted aubergines with crispy capers is a delicious Italian side dish. This cheesy recipe would...