Ayurvedic breakfast drink
- February 2010
- 14 whole almonds (use only 8–9 if blending with milk or it becomes too rich)
- 3 medium-sized dates
- Few strands of saffron (optional)
- 220ml water, or half water, half rice milk, or any other milk
- Pinch of cardamom powder (made by grinding the seeds of one green cardamom pod)
- Soak the almonds and dates overnight in hot water.
- In the morning, drain and peel the almonds. If using the saffron, infuse in 1 tablespoon of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Tip the almonds into a blender with the dates and water or milk (if using cow’s milk, ideally bring to boiling point and cool before using). Blend, then stir in the saffron water and strands (if using) and the ground cardamom and serve.
If you blend the drink with water, use the extra amount of almonds but if using milk, the smaller quantity will be fine. From Anjum’s new book Eat Right for your Body Type.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...