Egg-in-a-hole with bacon and avocado
- February 2020
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
Get Valentine’s Day off to a flying start this year by serving these heart-shaped egg-in-a-hole toasts for breakfast (in bed, of course). If anything says ‘I love you’, it’s the combination of egg, bacon and avo… now that’s a language we can understand.
Want to make heart shapes the theme of your whole Valentine’s Day? Then try making this fudgy chocolate brownie cake as a gorgeous heart-shaped after-dinner surprise.
- 47.4g (13.6g saturated)
- 47.5g (3.4g sugars)
- 8 rashers free-range British streaky bacon
- 4 thick slices good quality bread
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- Butter for spreading
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice 1 lime
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- Your favourite sauce to serve (we like sriracha chilli sauce)
You’ll also need…
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Large non-stick ovenproof frying pan
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the bacon in a single layer on a baking tray, then cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once, until crisp. Set aside (keep warm), then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Using the heart-shaped cookie cutter, stamp out a heart in the middle of 2 of the bread slices. Heat a splash of oil in the frying pan set over a medium heat. Add the bread slices with the heart-shaped hole, cook until golden on one side, then flip over, remove the pan from the heat and crack an egg into each hole. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 4-6 minutes until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Toast and butter the remaining bread slices and stamped-out hearts.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado in a medium bowl with the lime juice, chopped coriander and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Once the eggs are cooked, top the buttered toast with bacon and sandwich together with the egg-filled toast. Serve the sandwiches with a dollop of mashed avocado on the side and the toasted hearts, with a drizzle of your favourite sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This easy to assemble recipe gives children a chance to get involved with preparing breakfast....
Cinnamon apple brioche
Cinnamon apple brioche is a breakfast recipe that’s certainly worth getting out of bed for!