Dairy-free bacon and spinach quiche
- September 2004
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 35 mins, plus 45 mins baking time
This simple dairy-free quiche recipe is a great party dish. It uses soya milk instead of the more usual milk or cream for the filling, while the pastry uses an olive oil spread.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 15.4g (3.6g saturated)
- 22g (2.9g sugars)
- 150g plain flour
- 50g olive oil spread (50% less fat)
For the filling
- 200g smoked back bacon, roughly chopped
- 250g bag baby spinach, washed and ready to use
- 4 eggs
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 400ml unsweetened soya milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the flour and olive oil spread into a food processor, add a pinch of salt and whizz until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add 3 tablespoons of cold water and whizz until the pastry comes together. Tip onto a floured work surface and shape into a ball, then flatten with your hand. Wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the bacon into a large shallow dish. Microwave on high for 5 minutes until the bacon is cooked and starting to crisp up. Pierce the spinach bag twice. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Tip into a sieve and use a potato masher to squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach.
- Whisk the eggs and mustard together and add the soya milk. Season, mix well and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line the tranche tin. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes, remove the beans and paper and put back in the oven for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Scatter the pastry case with the bacon and spinach and pour over the soya milk and egg mixture. Bake for about 20 minutes until just set. Serve in slices with salad.
Use a 35 x 11cm tranche tin (a loose-bottomed flan tin, from cookware shops), or a 23cm shallow, round fluted tin for this tasty quiche recipe.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...