Baked basmati rice with squash and chilli
- March 2013
- Serves 4
- 10 minutes to make, 50 minutes to cook
Similar to a baked pilaf, this flavoursome vegetarian dish bakes basmati rice with squash, spinach, chilli and goat’s cheese all in one pan to keep washing up to a minimum.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.8g (5.3g saturated)
- 52.3g (6.7g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 500g butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g basmati rice
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 100g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a medium casserole dish and gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves, red chilli, and butternut squash. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the basmati rice and stir to coat.
- Pour over the hot vegetable stock, season, stir, then cover and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Scatter the spinach and goat’s cheese over the rice, then cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir to combine, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fried rice recipes
Fried rice with butternut squash, chestnuts and chard
This vegetarian rice, with butternut squash and chestnuts, makes a tasty side dish recipe.