Baked chicken, mushroom and thyme brown rice risotto
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 45-50 min
Who has the time to stir risotto these days? Simply combine the ingredients and the shredded leftover roast chicken in one pot, then bake in the oven until creamy.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 7.1g (1.7g saturated)
- 58.2g (2.3g sugars)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 300g mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 300g brown basmati rice
- 1 litre good quality chicken stock
- 150g leftover skinless roast chicken, shredded
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Grated zest ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve (optional)
You’ll also need…
- 3 litre flameproof casserole with a lid
- Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 3½. Heat the oil in the casserole over a medium-high heat and cook the onion, garlic and thyme for 5-6 minutes until softening. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Stir in the rice.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Cover with the lid, then bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, removing to stir occasionally, until the rice is cooked and the liquid has all been absorbed. Stir in the chicken, then set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon zest, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over, if you like.
Next time, for a creamier risotto, use arborio rice and stir in some freshly grated parmesan towards the end of the baking time.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken and cucumber risotto
A light and refreshing risotto recipe made with just five ingredients. Perfect for a quick...
Osso buco with risotto
A recipe that sums up all that’s good about winter cooking; rich, tender and flavoursome...