Healthier chicken korma
- February 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 50 min
Our healthier chicken korma recipe ditches the fat-laden cream, usually used in the traditional version, making it a lighter alternative.
And curry night wouldn’t be right without soft, pillowy naan breads…
- 23.4g (15.3g saturated)
- 14.2g (12.3g sugars)
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 4 free-range skinless chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 500ml full-fat Greek yogurt (we like Total)
- Bunch fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 20g desiccated coconut, toasted in a dry pan until golden
- Steamed basmati and wild rice, and lime wedges to serve
For the spice paste
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- For the spice paste, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garam masala and turmeric for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer to a mini food processor or pestle and mortar and grind to a powder. Add the rest of the spice paste ingredients and 50ml water, then whizz or pound until well combined.
- In the same pan, heat the oil over a high heat and, when hot, add the chicken and onions, then cook for 5 minutes. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, for a further 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Turn down the heat to medium, then add the sugar, salt and yogurt. Stir well and simmer gently for 5-10 minutes, then stir in the coriander, reserving a little to garnish. Sprinkle the korma with a little toasted coconut and chopped coriander, then serve with rice and lime wedges.
This curry works really well with spinach stirred in for the last 5 minutes and it’s great served with extra yogurt.
Make the spice paste in advance and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in a sealed jar or container.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...