Baked eggs in spicy tomato sauce
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20-25 min, oven time 4-5 min
Baked eggs aren’t just for brunch. This Mediterranean-style recipe cooks eggs in spicy tomato sauce with courgettes and spinach to make a healthy, one-pot dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 15.3g (3.2g saturated)
- 35.1g (12.4g sugars)
- A glug of olive oil
- 2 sliced red onions
- 1 sliced courgette
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- 100g spinach
- A bunch of chopped fresh basil
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- To serve; 4 sourdough bread slices, extra basil leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat a glug of olive oil in a large ovenproof sauté or frying pan with a lid, then fry the onions and courgette for 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, chilli flakes, sugar and tinned tomatoes. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and fresh basil to wilt, then taste and season. Make 6 indentations in the tomato sauce using the back of a spoon, then crack in 6 eggs. Cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes until the egg whites are set and the yolks done to your liking.
- Toast the sourdough bread, then serve with the eggs, scattered with extra basil leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt. Next time add 1 tsp ground cumin when frying the onions and courgettes, for extra flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked spinach eggs
We’ve made the nutritious and popular dish – eggs Florentine – even easier with our...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...