Banana, peanut butter and chocolate pancake fritters
- February 2013
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, cooking time 15 min, plus resting time
Try pancakes stuffed with banana, peanut butter and chocolate and then deep fried in this naughty fritter recipe.
- 23.2g (4.7g saturated)
- 61.3g (29.5g sugars)
For the pancake batter
- 100g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 300-350ml whole milk
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying
For the fritters
- 6 tbsp chocolate spread
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 200g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 300ml milk
- vegetable oil
- caster sugar
- To make the pancake batter, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, crack in the eggs and slowly whisk in enough milk to make a smooth batter, the consistency of pouring cream. Add the melted butter then set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat about a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, dip some kitchen paper in the oil and wipe across the surface of the pan. Add a small ladleful of batter and tilt the pan to swirl the batter evenly and thinly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the pancake is golden underneath.
- Loosen all around the pancake with a palette knife. Flip over and cook for a further minute, until golden. Slide out onto a plate and repeat to finish up the batter – oil the pan between each pancake.
- Mix the chocolate spread with the crunchy peanut butter. Spread liberally over 3 pancakes, then top each with the sliced banana. Roll up each pancake, then slice into chunky rounds.
- For the fritters, mix the self-raising flour with baking powder and caster sugar. Make a well, then add the egg and milk, a little at a time, stirring until you have a smooth batter. Dip each pancake round in the batter until fully coated.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep pan or wok to two-thirds full, then heat to 180°C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Fry the banana and pancake rounds in batches for about a minute until golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve dusted with caster sugar.
If you want to cut down the cooking time of this recipe, use ready-made pancakes instead and skip the first three steps.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pancakes with caramelised banana and homemade Nutella-style sauce
Nothing gets a morning cheer like a stack of fluffy American pancakes as a weekend...