Banh mi (Vietnamese baguette)
- March 2018
- Makes 1
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus 15 min chilling
A crusty baguette stuffed with leftover beef, fresh veg, herbs, chilli sauce and mayo; for when you need something satisfying, and quick to make, for lunch.
Looking for something else? We have lots more recipes for 1 person for you to try.
- 18.6g (3.2g saturated)
- 45g (13g sugars)
- ½ carrot, peeled into ribbons
- ¼ cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- Juice ½ lime
- ½ tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 small baguette or ¼ french stick
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 heaped tsp char siu or hoisin sauce (we used Blue Dragon)
- 80g leftover roast beef ( you could use chicken or cooked prawns instead)
- Handful fresh coriander or herby salad leaves
- Put the carrot, cucumber and red onion in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce and a good pinch of salt and grind of black pepper. Toss well to coat the vegetables, then chill for 15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, cut the baguette almost all the way through, then pull out and discard (or keep for breadcrumbs) most of the spongy layer of bread inside. Spread one side of the baguette with the mayonnaise and the other side with char siu/hoisin sauce.
- Squeeze the marinade from the veg (discard the marinade) and pile the veg into the baguette. Thinly slice the meat (leave prawns whole if using those), then arrange on top and sprinkle over the coriander. Wrap and chill until ready to eat.
This sandwich gets better after a couple of hours, so you can make it in the morning or even the night before and chill until ready to eat. The filling and middle will become soft but the baguette will remain crusty on the outside. Wrap in baking paper, then in a layer of cling film.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sticky Vietnamese pork meatballs with rice noodles and pickled vegetables
Lemongrass, garlic and lime all contribute to the powerful flavour of this Vietnamese pork meatball...
Midweek meal recipes
Vietnamese herb salad with tamarind and honey glazed beef
Juicy tamarind and honey glazed steak, crunchy vegetables, roasted peanuts and a bounty of fresh...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...