Beef burrito bowls
- June 2020
- SERVES 4
- HANDS-ON TIME 30 MIN
These easy beef burrito bowls are fun to make and have a spicy chipotle kick! The whole family will love building their own.
And because burritos are the kind of food we fancy ALL day, check out our breakfast burritos too.
- 14.1g (5.6g saturated)
- 41.6g (10.3g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra to brush
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 500g British beef mince (5% fat)
- 2 tsp chipotle chilli paste (from larger supermarkets)
- 200ml boiling water
- 4 medium tortilla wraps
- 2 little gem lettuces or ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 6 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve
- Pinch paprika, optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6. Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a large non–stick frying pan, add the red onions and beef mince, then fry over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes until the onions have started to soften and the beef has browned.
- Mix the chipotle paste with the boiling water, then add to the pan.
Season with salt and black pepper, then simmer for 6-8 minutes until the liquid has cooked off.
- Meanwhile, brush the tortillas with a little oil, then put each one
in an ovenproof bowl (pudding basins are ideal). Bake for 5-6 minutes until golden and firm – work in batches if you only have 1 or 2 bowls. Remove from the oven and leave to cool while you repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To serve, half-fill the tortilla cases with shredded lettuce, then top with the hot chipotle beef, tomatoes and cucumber. Add a dollop of yogurt and a lime wedge to each, then sprinkle with paprika (if using) and serve straightaway.
Chipotle chilli paste has a smoky flavour as well as heat. If you don’t like spicy food, use 1 tsp smoked paprika instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tex-Mex beef burritos
These Tex-Mex burritos with beef, refried beans guacamole and salsa are a perfect way to...