Bistro salad with poached egg, croutons, lardons and walnuts
- June 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 5-10 min
Packed with the wonderful smoky flavours of lardons and crunchy textures of croutons — this French-inspired salad feeds a family of four for under £5.
- 25.7g (5.9g saturated)
- 19.6g (2.5g sugars)
- Large handful walnut pieces
- 150g British free-range smoked lardons or pancetta
- 150g crustless country bread
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra if needed
- Splash white wine vinegar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Small bunch fresh tarragon
- 200g bitter salad leaves
- 3 spring onions
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Spread the nuts in a roasting tin and toast for 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a high heat, then fry the lardons or pancetta for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Tear the bread into chunks, then toss in the pan fat and fry until golden (add a little olive oil if needed).
- Bring a large sauté pan of water and a splash of vinegar to a gentle simmer. Crack an egg into a ramekin, then slide it into the water. Repeat with the other eggs. Poach for 4-5 minutes until the whites set, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and tarragon and mix in a bowl with the salad leaves, lardons/ pancetta, croutons and spring onions. Drizzle over the oil and vinegar, toss, season and serve with the eggs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Poached egg and new potato salad with crispy bacon
This easy, low-calorie recipe combines delicious potato salad with a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter