Caramelised onion and thyme tart
- July 2013
- Serves 4
- 30 mins to prepare, 15 mins to bake, 30 mins to cool
This classic savoury tart recipe of caramelised onions, parmesan and fresh thyme just needs a simple green salad on the side to make a delicious dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 35.1g (17.9g saturated)
- 42.2g (17.9g sugars)
- 85g butter
- 1kg sliced onions
- 3tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 16cm pastry case
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan
- A few fresh thyme sprigs
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add the onions and stir to coat. Season, then cover and cook over a very low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- When the onions are very soft, add the white wine vinegar, sugar and mustard.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes more or until the vinegar has evaporated. Stir through the thyme leaves, then season. Spoon the onion mixture into a 16cm blind-baked pastry case, then scatter over the parmesan and a few fresh thyme sprigs.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden. Leave the tart to cool for 30 minutes, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese and pumpernickel with apple salad
A wonderful do-ahead recipe. The curing flavours also work well with salmon if you prefer.