Caribbean chicken with rice and black beans
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 min
A moreish taste of the Caribbean, and for less than £1.50 a head.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 19.4g (3.8g saturated)
- 86.2g (1.6g sugar)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 300g basmati rice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 400g can black beans (also known as turtle beans), drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Whizz 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the chilli and coriander to form a paste and mix with the breadcrumbs. Spread over the chicken pieces. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes, then drain. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the garlic and lemon zest and gently fry for 30 seconds, then add the rice and black beans and stir-fry together for 5 minutes. Season and stir in the lemon juice. Serve the rice with the chicken.
If you like Caribbean flavours, try these sticky chicken drumsticks. Season 12 drumsticks and bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes. Brush on a mixture of 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp honey. Put back into the oven and cook for 10-20 minutes until sticky and golden. Serve with the rice and beans from the Caribbean chicken recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jerk chicken with coconut rice and peas and pineapple salsa
We’ve made this Jamaican favourite a little bit more special with a fabulous homemade jerk...