Easy jerk chicken
- June 2009
- Serves 4
- hands on time 10 mins, 30 mins cooking time, plus marinating
There’s just the right amount of spice in this easy recipe for classic Jamaican jerk chicken.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 2-3 tsp jerk seasoning (you can add more than this if you like spicy food)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 8 small or 4 large chicken pieces, skin removed
- A little vegetable oil, for greasing
- Put the jerk seasoning, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and honey into a big bowl and mix everything together.
- Carefully cut slits in the chicken meat, without cutting all the way through. Put the chicken into the jerk mixture and use your hands or a spoon to move the chicken around so that it is coated in the seasoning. Wash your hands thoroughly. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, or overnight if possible.
- Turn the oven on to 190°c/fan170°c/gas 5. Spoon the chicken and all the marinade into a heavy-based roasting tin lightly greased with a little oil.
- Carefully put the roasting tin in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The cooking time will vary slightly depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Wear oven gloves to handle the hot tin and cut one of the pieces open to check that it is not pink in the middle. Cook for another 5 minutes if it is at all pink, then check again. Serve with rice and peas.
You can buy jerk seasoning from a supermarket. Ask your butcher to joint a chicken for you, cutting it into eight pieces. Alternatively, use a mix of thighs and drumsticks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jerk chicken with coconut rice and peas and pineapple salsa
We’ve made this Jamaican favourite a little bit more special with a fabulous homemade jerk...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...