Easy jerk chicken and coconut rice
- March 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
Bring a taste of Jamaica to your weeknight dinner with our easy recipe for jerk chicken thighs, served with a speedier take on rice and peas.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 29.8g (16.5g saturated)
- 98.7g (12.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 seasoned free-range skin-on chicken thighs
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp jerk seasoning
- juice of 1 lime
- 180ml cold water
- 180ml coconut milk
- 180g basmati rice
- 150g rinsed and drained canned kidney beans
- ½ bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- extra sliced spring onion and lime wedges, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, then fry chicken thighs, skin-side down, for 5-6 minutes until golden. In a bowl, mix ½ tbsp soy sauce, tomato ketchup and jerk seasoning with lime juice. Coat the chicken in the marinade, then put in a baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, basting once.
- Meanwhile, put the cold water and coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add basmati rice and cook according to the pack instructions until the liquid has been absorbed. Season, then stir in the kidney beans and finely chopped spring onions. Serve the chicken on top of the rice, with extra sliced spring onion and lime wedges to squeeze over.
Depending on the brand of jerk seasoning, you may want to add a little extra chilli powder if you like your food spicy.
Marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours. Keep covered in the fridge, then bring to room temperature before cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jerk pork steaks with fruity salsa
These fruity jerk pork steaks make for a totally tropical recipe that’s easy to follow,...