Charred spicy pepper pesto with steak and green salad
- August 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, cooking time 20 min
Make your own speedy pepper pesto, then drizzle generously over seared sirloin steaks and fresh rocket – a brilliant and impressive midweek meal.
For another speedy steak recipe that you can make on a weeknight, see our spice-rubbed steak with tomato salad.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 48.4g (9.7g saturated)
- 8.9g (7.3g sugars)
- 2 large peppers
- Glug of oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 40g pine nuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Bunch each of fresh basil and flat leaf parsley
- 4 British sirloin steaks (about 200g each)
- 2 avocados
- Small bag of rocket
- Deseed and roughly chop the peppers. In a large frying pan, heat a glug of oil and fry the peppers for 10-15 minutes, then tip into a food processor with the olive oil, pine nuts, half of the lemon juice and a basil and parsley. Season well, then pulse until the pesto comes together.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a high heat until the oil is shimmering hot. Add the steaks to the hot pan and fry for 2½ minutes on each side (for medium rare), remove from the pan, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, peel, stone and slice the avocados, then put in a salad bowl along with a the rocket. Squeeze over the other lemon half and add a drizzle of olive oil, then season and toss to coat. Serve with the steak and pesto.
Rate & review