Cheat’s bubble and squeak cakes with smoked haddock and eggs
- January 2010
- Serves 2
- Ready in 15 minutes
This easy recipe livens up an ordinary pack of bubble and squeak with the smoky flavour from the haddock and bacon, finished with an egg.
- 4 streaky bacon rashers
- 450g pack bubble and squeak
- 25g butter
- 2 undyed skinless smoked haddock fillets
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 large free-range eggs
- Chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat, add the bacon and fry until crisp. Chop 2 rashers into small pieces and put the other 2 on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Mix the chopped bacon with the bubble and squeak and shape into 2 large patties.
- Melt the butter with a splash of olive oil in the frying pan, add the patties and fry for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and keep warm in the oven.
- Dust the haddock with the flour, season well, then fry over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Remove from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, poach 2 eggs in a pan of gently simmering water for 3 minutes until the white is just cooked and the yolk is still soft. Divide the bubble and squeak cakes between plates, top with the haddock, crispy bacon and poached eggs, and garnish with the chopped fresh chives.
Serve with wilted spinach to help reach your five-a-day target.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bursting with beef, swede, potato and onion this classic cornish pasty recipe makes a great...