Cheat’s smoked mackerel pilau
- February 2010
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 100g baby spinach
- 350g microwaveable pilau rice
- Handful frozen peas
- 200g hot-smoked mackerel fillets,
- skinned and thickly flaked
- 100g ready-roasted peppers from a jar, drained and sliced
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large pan, melt a knob of butter with a splash of oil over a medium-low heat, add
- the shallots and fry for 8 minutes until softened and golden.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour over boiling water to wilt. Refresh under cold water, then squeeze dry.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the rice, peas, mackerel, red pepper and spinach to the shallots. Season and stir for 5 minutes until warmed through.
- Stir through the chopped coriander, spoon into 2 shallow bowls and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter