Cheat’s smoked mackerel pilau
- February 2010
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 minutes
This smoked mackerel pilau rice recipe is a great one-pot dish that is both quick and easy, plus it makes enough to have leftovers the next day.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 100g baby spinach
- 350g microwaveable pilau rice
- Handful frozen peas
- 200g hot-smoked mackerel fillets,
- skinned and thickly flaked
- 100g ready-roasted peppers from a jar, drained and sliced
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large pan, melt a knob of butter with a splash of oil over a medium-low heat, add
- the shallots and fry for 8 minutes until softened and golden.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour over boiling water to wilt. Refresh under cold water, then squeeze dry.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the rice, peas, mackerel, red pepper and spinach to the shallots. Season and stir for 5 minutes until warmed through.
- Stir through the chopped coriander, spoon into 2 shallow bowls and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Friday night dinners
Smoked mackerel with warm chickpea salad and harissa dip
This speedy salad recipe, with smoked mackerel and chickpeas, is a really quick and tasty...