Chicken schnitzel with zingy fennel and watercress slaw
- June 2015
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve (optional)
- 4 British free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 2 free-range eggs
- 75g seasoned plain flour
- 120g breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Bunch watercress
To serve (optional)
- Steamed potatoes
- Finely slice the fennel, then toss with the mayo, mustard and lemon juice. Season.
- Bash the chicken between 2 sheets of baking paper with a rolling pin until each breast is about 1cm thick. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Put the flour and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a shallow layer of oil in a large frying pan. When shimmering, cook the chicken over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until golden on the underside (see tip). Flip and repeat. Roughly chop the watercress and toss through the salad. Season, then serve with the schnitzels, with steamed potatoes and lemon wedges, if you like.
If you can’t fit all the chicken schnitzels in the frying pan, cook in 2 batches and keep warm in a low oven.
Rate & review