Quick chicken schnitzels
- November 2008
- Serves 4
Home-made chicken schnitzels are a real midweek treat and, with this recipe, you can feed four hungry mouths for less than a tenner.
- 19.3g (6.1g saturated)
- 30.5g (1.2g sugar)
- 4 free-range chicken breasts
- 150g fresh breadcrumbs
- 75g feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges, buttery new potatoes and stir-fried greens, to serve
- Flatten the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film using a rolling pin.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the feta and fresh thyme leaves in a bowl. Season well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Dip each chicken breast in the egg, turning to coat, then coat in the breadcrumbs and transfer to a plate.
- Chill the schnitzels until you’re ready to eat, then heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the schnitzels, 1 or 2 at a time, for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden.
- Serve with lemon wedges, to squeeze over, buttery new potatoes and stir-fried greens, if you like.
Rather than flattening the chicken breasts, make a slit in them and stuff the pocket with a mixture of crumbled feta and thyme. Egg and breadcrumb them, pan-fry for 3-4 minutes each side, then finish off in an oven preheated to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked chicken, mushroom and thyme brown rice risotto
Who has the time to stir risotto these days? Simply combine the ingredients and the...