Quick chicken schnitzels
- November 2008
- Serves 4
Home-made chicken schnitzels are a real midweek treat and, with this recipe, you can feed four hungry mouths for less than a tenner.
- 19.3g (6.1g saturated)
- 30.5g (1.2g sugar)
- 4 free-range chicken breasts
- 150g fresh breadcrumbs
- 75g feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges, buttery new potatoes and stir-fried greens, to serve
- Flatten the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film using a rolling pin.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the feta and fresh thyme leaves in a bowl. Season well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Dip each chicken breast in the egg, turning to coat, then coat in the breadcrumbs and transfer to a plate.
- Chill the schnitzels until you’re ready to eat, then heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the schnitzels, 1 or 2 at a time, for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden.
- Serve with lemon wedges, to squeeze over, buttery new potatoes and stir-fried greens, if you like.
Rather than flattening the chicken breasts, make a slit in them and stuff the pocket with a mixture of crumbled feta and thyme. Egg and breadcrumb them, pan-fry for 3-4 minutes each side, then finish off in an oven preheated to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower schnitzels with paprika and sage sauce and butter bean mash
A vegetarian take on the beloved chicken schnitzel, our cauliflower schnitzels are coated in paprika...
Easy dinner ideas
Chicken schnitzels with quick fennel and apple sauerkraut
These chicken schnitzels take just 30 minutes to make, making them perfect for a fuss-free...