Chicken stuffed with spinach and pancetta
- April 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 minutes, oven time 30-35 minutes, plus cooling
The tasty Italian-style stuffing, made with spinach and pancetta, ensures that the chicken stays succulent.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 44.1g (21.1g saturated)
- 4 large free-range chicken breasts, with skin
- 200g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g pack cubed pancetta
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 200g mascarpone
- 40g grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Make an incision in the side of the chicken breasts to form a pocket, then set aside.
- Place the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour a kettle of just-boiled water over to wilt it. Refresh under cold water, squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then chop.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the pancetta for 3 minutes until it starts to turn golden. Add the onion and fry for another 5 minutes until the pancetta is crisp and the onion is softened.
- Add the spinach, mascarpone and Parmesan to the pan. Mix together, season and set aside to cool a little.
- Spoon the mixture into the pockets of the chicken breasts and secure each with 1-2 cocktail sticks. Put in a shallow roasting tin, drizzle with the remaining oil, and season. Roast for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
Try these flavours in a risotto. Make a classic risotto, then stir in cooked chicken and bacon, with wilted spinach leaves and mascarpone.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken thigh recipes
Chicken in an almond sauce with a sweet date salsa
Chicken braised in almond milk and served with a sweet salsa makes for an Italian...
Italian chicken recipes
Piccatina al limone (chicken escalopes with lemon)
Jacob Kenedy, the chef and owner of acclaimed London restaurant Bocca di Lupo, shares his...