Chicken stuffed with spinach and pancetta
- April 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 minutes, oven time 30-35 minutes, plus cooling
The tasty Italian-style stuffing, made with spinach and pancetta, ensures that the chicken stays succulent.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 44.1g (21.1g saturated)
- 4 large free-range chicken breasts, with skin
- 200g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g pack cubed pancetta
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 200g mascarpone
- 40g grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Make an incision in the side of the chicken breasts to form a pocket, then set aside.
- Place the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour a kettle of just-boiled water over to wilt it. Refresh under cold water, squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then chop.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the pancetta for 3 minutes until it starts to turn golden. Add the onion and fry for another 5 minutes until the pancetta is crisp and the onion is softened.
- Add the spinach, mascarpone and Parmesan to the pan. Mix together, season and set aside to cool a little.
- Spoon the mixture into the pockets of the chicken breasts and secure each with 1-2 cocktail sticks. Put in a shallow roasting tin, drizzle with the remaining oil, and season. Roast for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
Try these flavours in a risotto. Make a classic risotto, then stir in cooked chicken and bacon, with wilted spinach leaves and mascarpone.
Rate & review