Chocolate, banana and hazelnut galette
- April 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min, plus chilling
”Antony and Cleopatra. Meghan and Harry. Gin and tonic. Chocolate and banana. Some couplings are just meant to be. This is a quick and delicious dessert you can make from pantry ingredients. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a cloud of whipped cream on top.” – Sue Quinn
This recipe is taken from Cocoa by Sue Quinn (Quadrille £25).
- 200g plain [all-purpose] flour
- 60g caster [superfine] sugar
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- Pinch of salt
- 125g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 100g dark chocolate (between
- 60–70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1–2 tbsp demerara [light brown] sugar, for sprinkling
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with a splash of milk, for egg wash
- First, make your dough. Using a fork or balloon whisk, whisk the flour, caster sugar, ground hazelnuts and salt together in a bowl to combine. Transfer to a food processor, add the butter and pulse to a breadcrumb consistency. Add the egg yolks, a little at a time, pulsing between additions, to make a shaggy dough. Tip out onto a work surface, knead briefly and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas mark 4 and place a baking sheet inside to heat. Warm the honey in a small pan and set aside.
- Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of baking paper into a circle roughly 35cm / 14in in diameter. Carefully peel off the top layer of paper.
- Using a bowl, plate or pan lid as a guide, mark out (but don’t cut!) a circle roughly 22cm / 8¾in in diameter in the centre of the dough. Using a sharp knife, cut out a circle 32cm / 12½in in diameter around the marked-out circle: there should be a 5cm / 2-in border between the marked-out circle and the edge of the pastry.
- Scatter the chopped chocolate within the border of the marked-out circle. Thinly slice the bananas and arrange neatly on top of the chocolate. Brush the bananas with the warmed honey and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the demerara sugar.
- Fold the border inwards, pleating and gently pressing to form a neat edge as you go. Brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Quickly slide the galette on its paper onto the hot baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until golden and crisp underneath. Serve immediately.
Rate & review