Chocolate, banana and hazelnut galette
- April 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min, plus chilling
”Antony and Cleopatra. Meghan and Harry. Gin and tonic. Chocolate and banana. Some couplings are just meant to be. This is a quick and delicious dessert you can make from pantry ingredients. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a cloud of whipped cream on top.” – Sue Quinn
This recipe is taken from Cocoa by Sue Quinn (Quadrille £25).
- 200g plain [all-purpose] flour
- 60g caster [superfine] sugar
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- Pinch of salt
- 125g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 100g dark chocolate (between
- 60–70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1–2 tbsp demerara [light brown] sugar, for sprinkling
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with a splash of milk, for egg wash
- First, make your dough. Using a fork or balloon whisk, whisk the flour, caster sugar, ground hazelnuts and salt together in a bowl to combine. Transfer to a food processor, add the butter and pulse to a breadcrumb consistency. Add the egg yolks, a little at a time, pulsing between additions, to make a shaggy dough. Tip out onto a work surface, knead briefly and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas mark 4 and place a baking sheet inside to heat. Warm the honey in a small pan and set aside.
- Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of baking paper into a circle roughly 35cm / 14in in diameter. Carefully peel off the top layer of paper.
- Using a bowl, plate or pan lid as a guide, mark out (but don’t cut!) a circle roughly 22cm / 8¾in in diameter in the centre of the dough. Using a sharp knife, cut out a circle 32cm / 12½in in diameter around the marked-out circle: there should be a 5cm / 2-in border between the marked-out circle and the edge of the pastry.
- Scatter the chopped chocolate within the border of the marked-out circle. Thinly slice the bananas and arrange neatly on top of the chocolate. Brush the bananas with the warmed honey and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the demerara sugar.
- Fold the border inwards, pleating and gently pressing to form a neat edge as you go. Brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Quickly slide the galette on its paper onto the hot baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until golden and crisp underneath. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...