Chorizo, wild and red rice-stuffed poussin
- June 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 mins, plus 35 mins roasting time
This chorizo, wild and red rice-stuffed poussin recipe is a brilliant summer roast recipe. Serve the extra stuffing as a side dish.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 13.8g (5g saturated)
- 41.2g (1.7g sugars)
- 100g mixed bag wild and red rice
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 100g chorizo, roughly chopped
- 175ml glass white wine
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves, chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- 2 large poussins
- 10g butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cook the wild rice and basmati rice mix according to the packet instructions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and celery for 10 minutes, until softened. Stir in the chorizo and continue to cook for a few minutes more. Add the wine and simmer over a high heat for about 5 minutes, until nearly all of the wine has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice and sage. Season well.
- Fill the body cavity of each poussin with the rice mixture. Rub the poussins’ skin with a little butter, season, and drape a few sage leaves over each breast. Drizzle the sage with a little oil and roast for 35 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Serve with any leftover rice and a salad.
Look out for mixed bags of rice that include all three varieties. We used Waitrose Wholesome Brown Basmati, Red Camargue and Wild Rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Valentine's Day recipes
Mushroom and thyme-stuffed poussins with madeira sauce
Treating a loved one to a homemade Valentine’s dinner? These stuffed poussins with a delicious...
Break with picnic tradition with this poussin recipe, pepped up with spices and served with...