Chorizo, wild and red rice-stuffed poussin
- June 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 mins, plus 35 mins roasting time
This chorizo, wild and red rice-stuffed poussin recipe is a brilliant summer roast recipe. Serve the extra stuffing as a side dish.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 13.8g (5g saturated)
- 41.2g (1.7g sugars)
- 100g mixed bag wild and red rice
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 100g chorizo, roughly chopped
- 175ml glass white wine
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves, chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- 2 large poussins
- 10g butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cook the wild rice and basmati rice mix according to the packet instructions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and celery for 10 minutes, until softened. Stir in the chorizo and continue to cook for a few minutes more. Add the wine and simmer over a high heat for about 5 minutes, until nearly all of the wine has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice and sage. Season well.
- Fill the body cavity of each poussin with the rice mixture. Rub the poussins’ skin with a little butter, season, and drape a few sage leaves over each breast. Drizzle the sage with a little oil and roast for 35 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Serve with any leftover rice and a salad.
Look out for mixed bags of rice that include all three varieties. We used Waitrose Wholesome Brown Basmati, Red Camargue and Wild Rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Valentine's Day recipes
Mushroom and thyme-stuffed poussins with madeira sauce
Treating a loved one to a homemade Valentine’s dinner? These stuffed poussins with a delicious...
Break with picnic tradition with this poussin recipe, pepped up with spices and served with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...