Classic pork milanese
- May 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min; oven time 15 min;
This simple pork milanese recipe is perfect for a quick midweek meal or supper with friends
- 702 kcals
- 40.8g (15g saturated)
- 41g (3.8g sugars)
- 4 pork loin chops, fat trimmed
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon, plus lemon wedges to garnish
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 25g Parmesan or Grana Padano, grated
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 25ml vegetable oil
- Good knob of butter
- Place the pork chops between 2 sheets of cling film and bash with a rolling pin until about 1cm thick.
- In a bowl, mix the cucumber with the chilli, white wine vinegar, sugar, 2 tbsp of the olive oil and the chopped dill. Season well and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the crème fraîche, capers and lemon zest and juice with the remaining olive oil.
- In a dish, mix the breadcrumbs with the Parmesan. Put the flour and lots of seasoning in another dish and the beaten eggs in a third. Dust the pork in the flour, then dip in the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a heavy-based frying pan. Fry the pork in batches for 3-4 minutes per side until golden and cooked through. Serve with the cucumber relish, caper dressing and lemon wedges.
Taken from the middle of a whole loin of pork, these chops have a small bone and lots of fat, making them very tasty. For this recipe, you can also use boneless pork loin if you don’t want to crumb the pork with the bone.
‘Milanese’ means in the style of milan, where meat is flattened, coated in breadcrumbs and Parmesan, then fried in butter. For this recipe, you can also use boneless pork loin.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheat’s pork Milanese
A quick take on a classic Italian pork Milanese recipe, made with nifty shop-bought ingredients,...